Hefei, Anhui, 230601, China.
A Brief Introduction to Hefei
Lying between the Yangtze River and Huaihe River, it is the capital city of Anhui Province. Covering an area of 7,266 square kilometers (about 2,805 square miles), it is the key tourist city of the whole province and the best place to know about the brilliant Anhui culture.
The ancient Hefei City, with a long history of over 2,000 years, was also nicknamed ‘Luzhou‘ or ‘Luyang‘ because it was under the governance of Luzhou prefecture in the Ming (1368 – 1644) and Qing (1644 – 1911) dynasties. The city is the political, economic and cultural center of Anhui Province and has played an important role in commercial transactions since ancient times. Due to its good surroundings and long history, many natural and cultural places of interests can be found here. The most famous one is undoubtedly the Memorial Temple of Lord Bao.
It is a beautiful city with good surroundings – the Huaihe River flows to its north, to its south is Yangtze River, and to its south- east lies the Chaohu Lake with its expansive blue waters. It exemplifies the good climate to be found in the area having a mild climate with clearly defined seasons and moderate rainfall. The average annual temperature is 15.83 °C (60.5 °F). As is known, every city in China has a city tree and a city flower and, in the case of this city, the Yulan tree is its city tree and the sweet-scented osmanthus, pomegranate flower is its city flower.
Sites of Interest in Hefei
- Xiaoyao Ford, a public park sitting on the ancient site of the Battle of Xiaoyao Ford.
- Temple of Lord Bao, built in 1066 near the tomb of Lord Bao.
- Li Hongzhang‘s Former Residence (Chinese: 李鸿章故居; pinyin: Lihóngzhāng gùjū), built in the late 19th century and fully restored by the 1990s.
- Hui Garden (Chinese: 徽园; pinyin: Huī yuán) (Opened to the public in September 2001)
- Children’s Welfare Institute (a.k.a. “Social Welfare Institute”), children’s orphanage
- Anhui Laomingguang Stadium, the home ground of Anhui Jiufang, but also used for other public sporting events.
Sites of Interest Nearby
- Mount Huangshan (World Heritage Site)
- Ancient Villages in Southern Anhui – Xidi and Hongcun (World Heritage Site).
- Chao Lake
- Jing Ting Mountain
- Mount Jiuhua
- Mount Langya
- Mount Qiyun
- Mount Tianzhu
- Old Town of Tunxi
- Taiji Cave, the longest karst cave in East China.
- Zhenfeng Pagoda, a Ming Dynasty pagoda in Anqing City.
- Zuiweng Pavilion, named after the poet Ouyang Xiu (1007−1072 CE).